The battle of billionaires has been going on for some time now. It is a game they enjoy playing. The rest of us are spectators who admire watching the battle or just getting the final results (Richest people in the world) when they are released by Forbes.
The life of the richest people in the world
Becoming a billionaire is not just admirable but glamorous. After all, billionaires get all the attention in the world. Their names are known in every corner of the world.
Over and above fame, billionaires can afford anything they desire. They can even buy a city or an island. These people live in the best houses, drive the best cars, create anything they desire, and live a life of unlimited options and possibilities.
How wealthy are the richest people in the world
The wealth of one of the richest people in the world can finance the entire budgets of developing counties for several years. This is how wealthy they are.
Let’s put this into perspective. Let us use Jeff Bezos (The richest man in the world) and Uganda to prove that point.
In the financial year 2019/2020, Uganda had a budget of 12.3 billion dollars. Jeff Bezos, on the other hand, is worth 185.6 billion dollars.
Do simple mathematics. Bezos can finance the Ugandan budget for 15.08 years. He can pay all the Ugandan public servants, build all the roads, and supply the water, etc. for 15 good years before going broke.
This means that billionaires are insanely wealthy. They can afford anything the world has to offer.
In this article, we will discuss the richest people in the world, the source of their wealth, and general facts about them. We will then analyze the information and make sense of the facts.
(The net worth is in US dollars)
Top 10 richest people in the world
- Jeff Bezos – 185.6 billion
- Bernard Arnault – 115.6 billion
- Bill Gates – 113.9 billion
- Mark Zuckerberg – 99.6 billion
- Mukesh Ambani – 83.0 billion
- Warren Buffet – 83.4 billion
- Larry Ellison – 72.4 billion
- Elon Musk – 71.4 billion
- Steve Ballmer – 69.7 billion
- Larry Page – 68.2 billion
Let’s get things going:
1. Jeff Bezos – 185.6 billion
Topping the list of the richest people on earth is Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon. Jeff is the richest person in the world by far. Here are some of the facts about Bezos.
- He was born on January 12, 1964 (56 years old)
- Country of residence- United States
- He has a degree in electrical engineering and computer science from Princeton University.
- Bezos has been the richest person in the world since 2017.
- He is the founder of Amazon and Blue Origin.
- Jeff founded Amazon in 1994. It started as an online bookstore but has since diversified to selling almost everything.
- Amazon is the most valuable digital company by revenue.
- Jeff Bezos founded Blue Origin, an aerospace manufacturer, in 2000.
- In 2013, Bezos purchased The Washington Post for 250 million dollars.
- He was the first centi-billionaire in the Forbes wealth index.
- Bezos is also the first person to cross the 200 billion dollar net worth mark.
- He has many other investments through Bezos Expeditions.
It has been forecasted that Jeff Bezos’ net worth will continue increasing in the foreseeable future. He lost some of his wealth through a divorce settlement last year but still maintained the first position.
2. Bernard Arnault & family – 115.6 billion
Bernard Arnault, 71, is a French billionaire. He is the CEO and chairman of LVMH ; the world’s largest luxury goods company.
He became the world’s richest man in fashion in April 2018, overtaking Amancio Ortega of Zara.
Bernard became the richest man in the world briefly in December 2019 and January 2020 after overtaking Jeff Bezos.
He graduated with an engineering degree from Ecole Polytechnique in France.
3. Bill Gates – 113.9 billion
Bill Gates has been in the list of the richest people in the world for decades now. He is a figure that needs no introduction. He is well known as a philanthropist in the health and education sectors. Here are some facts about him:
- He was born on October 28, 1955 (65 years), in Seattle, Washington.
- As of July 2020, he had a net worth of 111.8 billion dollars.
- Best known as the co-founder of Microsoft and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- He attended Lakeside Prep. School and later Harvard University where he dropped off in his second year.
- He wrote his first software at age 13 while at Lakeside Prep. School.
- He formed his first venture, Trat-O-Data at age 17 together with Paul Allen.
- He scored 1590 out of 1600 in his Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT).
- Gates enrolled for Harvard in 1973.
- He co-founded Microsoft in 1975 together with Paul Allen. Microsoft was a combination of microcomputers and software.
- He became a millionaire at age 26 and billionaire at 31.
- He was the largest individual shareholder of Microsoft until 2014.
- Bill Gates is considered one of the pioneers of the microcomputers revolution.
- He was the CEO of Microsoft until 2000 when he stepped down. His former Harvard schoolmate Steve Ballmer succeeded him.
- He stepped down as chairman of Microsoft in 2014. He remained technical advisers of the company.
- Gates was the richest person on earth for 14 years in a row (From 1993-2007)
- In 2017, he was overtaken by Amazon founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos as the richest person on earth.
- His assets are managed by Cascade Investment LLC, a company he founded.
- Through Cascade Investments, Bill Gates has an ownership stake in many other businesses.
- He is the greatest philanthropist on earth. His foundation is the largest private charity.
Bill Gates is the most popular billionaire alive today.
4. Mark Zuckerberg – 99.6 billion
Mark Zuckerberg is a young billionaire and best known for co-founding Facebook. Facebook is by far the most valuable social media company with over 2.4 billion active users every month.
- Mark was born on May 14, 1984 (36 years) in White Plains, New York.
- He started coding at a young age. His father hired a tutor to teach him how to create web applications and websites. He created computer games back in high school.
- Zuckerberg launched Facebook on February 4, 2004, from his dormitory room at Harvard where he studied psychology and computer science.
- He later dropped from Harvard.
- In 2007, he became the world’s youngest self-made billionaire at the age of 23.
- He is the only under 40 years old in the Forbes list of the 20 richest people.
- Zuckerberg is the chairman, CEO, and controlling shareholder at Facebook.
Mark Zuckerberg is an inspiring young man known for his consistent dressing code. He wears jeans and a gray T-shirt to reduce what he calls decision fatigue. After all, he needs all the energy to run Facebook for us.
5. Mukesh Ambani – 86.0 billion
Mukesh Ambani is an Indian billionaire. Born on 19th April 1957 (63 years), Mukesh is the chairman and MD of Reliance Industries Limited. Reliance is the most valuable company by market value in India.
Mukesh Ambani is the richest man in Asia. He studied chemical engineering from the Institute of Chemical Engineering.
6. Warren Buffet – 83.4 billion
Warren Buffet has dropped in this list of the richest people in the world. He has been the second richest person on earth for a long time.
Warren is recognized as the world’s greatest investor. He is also known as the Oracle or Sage of Omaha. He is the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.
- Buffet was born on 30th August 1930 (90 years) in Omaha, Nebraska.
- He attended the Wharton School, University of Nebraska, and Columbia Business School.
- Warren practices value investing, a concept pioneered by Benjamin Graham.
- He also practices personal frugality. Warren still lives in a house he bought 50 years ago in Omaha.
- Warren founded the giving pledge together with Bill Gates. In the giving pledge, billionaires pledge to give at least half of their wealth.
- Buffet has pledged to give 99% of his wealth upon death.
Warren is known for influencing the stock market. People buy what he buys and therefore, he is an influential figure in the world of investing.
7. Larry Ellison – 72.4 billion
He was born on 17th August 1944 (76 years). Ellison is the co-founder, chairman, and chief technology officer of Oracle Corporation.
He dropped from the University of Illinois despite being the science student of the year. He never met his real mother until he was 48 years old. Larry Ellison started Oracle in 1970.
8. Elon Musk – 71.4 billion
Elon Musk was born on June 28, 1971 (49 years). He lived in South Africa and Canada before relocating to the United States.
Elon Musk is a famous entrepreneur who is admired by many. He is well known as the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX.
- Musk studied economics and physics at the University of Pennsylvania. He did not complete his Ph.D. at Stanford University.
- He founded Zip2, a web software company, which was acquired by Compaq for 307 million dollars in 1999.
- Elon then co-founded X.com, an online bank, which launched PayPal. It was acquired by eBay for 1.5 billion in 2002.
- In May 2002, he founded SpaceX which is a space exploration company.
- He joined Tesla (A car manufacturing company) in 2004, a year after it was founded, and became its product architect. Musk became the CEO in 2008.
- He co-founded Solar City in 2006. Solar City is a solar energy service company.
- In 2015, he founded OpenAI, a non-profit research company in the artificial intelligence field.
- In 2016, Musk co-founded Neuralink, a neuro-technology company focused on developing brain-computer interfaces.
- Finally, Elon Musk founded The Boring Company, an infrastructure and tunnel Construction Company focused on tunnel optimized for electric vehicles.
Elon Musk is known for his creative and daring entrepreneurial style. Under him, Tesla is producing electric cars that are projected to dominate the market in a decade.
Steve Ballmer – 69.7 billion
Steve Ballmer is the 9th in the Forbes list of the richest people in the world. He was born on 24th March 1956 (64 years). Ballmer served as the CEO of Microsoft from 2000 to 2014. He is the current owner of the Los Angeles Clippers of the NBA.
Ballmer studied applied mathematics and economics at Harvard. He dropped from graduate school (MBA program at Stanford) to join Microsoft in 1980.
10. Larry Page – 68.2 billion
Closing the list of the Forbes top 10 richest people on earth is Google’s co-founder Larry Page. He co-founded Google in 1998 together with Sergey Brin.
Page was born on March 26, 1973 (47 years). He was the CEO of Google from its founding to August 2001 and then from April 2011 to July 2015.
Page graduated with a degree in Computer Engineering from the University of Michigan. He got a Masters and a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stanford.
Analysis of the richest people in the world
- The youngest billionaire in the list is 36 (Mark Zuckerberg) while the oldest is 90 (Warren Buffet).
- Their mean age is 61.7. This means that the average billionaire in the top 10 list of the richest people on earth is 61.7 years.
- All of them started their undergraduate studies. 7 graduated while 3 dropped out. All of them were brilliant in school.
- 6 took some computer courses (Elon Musk studied coding by himself), 3 took economics, 4 have some engineering background, and 2 physics.
- 7 got their billions in the technology industry, 1 from investment, another 1 from fashion, and 1 from a conglomerate.
- 8 are from the US, 1 from France, and another 1 from India.
- 3 attended Harvard, 3 Stanford, and 2 the university of Pennsylvania.
- 6 started their billion-dollars companies, 2 purchased them, 1 inherited while 1 was an employee.
- 9 of them are self-made.
Final thoughts on the richest people in the world
From the above analysis, it is evident that these richest people in the world are diverse in age, background, industry, education, etc. This means that we can all be like them. All of us have the potential to make it. We just need to do what they did to make it.
I desire to be a participant in the billionaires’ battle. I do not just want to be a spectator forever. What about you?
Founder/ C.E.O- Wealthy Wolves Consulting & Giimark Ltd/ Best-selling Author/ Speaker.