Starting a blog is relatively easy but managing it to growth is very challenging. Making money from a blog is even more challenging. This article will discuss in-depth how to make money from a blog. Let’s go.
How to start a blog
As I pointed out, starting a blog is relatively easy. You can even do it yourself. The total cost of starting a blog is also relatively low. 20 dollars or even less is enough to get things going.
I have been in blogging for some time now. I can attest that with dedication and commitment, you can make money from a blog.
Before I got into blogging, I used to visit entrepreneur.com frequently. Entrepreneur gets millions of visitors every month. Their content is amazing and I was inspired to start a blog.
If you saw this blog in its early stages, it had a black header just like the Entrepreneur. This is because I tried to be like them. It is always good to get inspiration from another blog before starting yours.
This is what you need when starting a blog
1. Choose a good niche
Good blogs are super focused; they focus on a certain thematic niche. Blogs that end up nowhere focus on everything. They will give people business advice, tell them about the latest fashion trends, give them some engineering knowledge, and so on. Such blogs are doomed to fail.
If you look at this blog, we focus on success in personal finances and business. That is our niche. It has helped us to serve our readers with quality relevant knowledge. It is very hard to find people who are interested in business and fashion or even medicine at the same time.
By giving people related content, we satisfy the reader and this is good for the growth of any blog (SEO)
When choosing a niche, answer the following questions:
- What area am I knowledgeable in? Starting a blog in your area of expertise is highly advisable. Content that comes naturally is better for readers and search engines.
- Are there readers in this area? Writing is one thing and getting readers is another. Choose a niche that has demand. Blogs in personal finance, success, and business will always get more readers than those in rocket science, building, and engineering.
These two questions cover the two important aspects of any business; demand and supply.
The first question deals with supply. Can you supply quality, timely, and relevant content to your readers?
The second question takes care of demand. This is called market orientation. Provide to the market something the market already needs.
2. Buy a domain name
A domain name is a unique name for every site on the web. Ours is www.wealthywolves.com. When you type that on your browser, you will be directed to this website.
General rules when choosing a domain name:
- It should be short and memorable. The domain name should be 15 characters or less. Make it as memorable as possible.
- Avoid putting hyphens on the name. Domain names that have hyphens are considered less trustworthy. Trust is an important factor on the web.
- Let the name give a hint of what the website is about.
Domain names are very cheap nowadays. You can get a domain name at 0.99 USD.
3. Get a hosting plan
The information on your website is stored in a remote server. This is called web hosting.
When the reader searches something from your website, the browser will request the server to provide that information. The server will send the information to the browser in seconds. The browser will then organize the information in a way that you can understand.
It is important to get a good hosting plan because it affects the performance of your website.
There are many web hosting companies out there. You just need to research and choose one that suits your needs. It should be reliable and established. The hosting plans can cost anywhere from 10 USD per year.
4. Start the blog
After getting the domain name and the hosting plan, you need to create the website. The easiest way to do it is to use WordPress. WordPress powers more than 75 million blogs worldwide.
The good thing about it is that you do not need any coding knowledge. You just need to install a theme on your Cpanel and then customize it.
The Cpanel is a website control panel provided by your web hosting provider.
5. Keep improving it
When you start your first website, you rarely have sufficient knowledge about blogs. You need to keep researching and looking for best practices from other blogs.
These best practices include:
- Getting a valid SSL certificate.
- Having proper navigation.
- Have a contact us page.
- Having a clean design. White spaces make the blog look neat and clean.
- Make your blog mobile-friendly. Make sure that your theme is responsive to different devices.
- The logo should link to the homepage.
- The site should be fast loading.
- Observe all SEO best practices.
The secret to the success of any blog is having quality content. This will increase the read time and reduce bounce rates. This is good for your blog search engine optimization.
The blogging space is very competitive. With over 1.7 billion published websites today, ranking on Google is not a walk in the park. You have to be the best to get on the first page of Google SERP.
Make a habit of writing at least 3 blog posts per week. The length should be at least 1000 words for beginners.
The average blog post is around 1200 words. Blogs that appear on the first page of Google have an average of 1900 words. This means that longer content is better for search engines.
If you do not have the time to write that often, hire experienced writers to do the job. You can get freelancers or hire an in-house writing team. Friends can also write for you. Whatever you do, make sure that the content you publish on the site is great
How to make money from a blog
There are many ways of making money from a blog. However, this is never easy. More than 95% of blogs do not make even a cent.
There are many ways of monetizing a blog but we are going to discuss just a few main ones.
How to make money from a blog
- Google AdSense Program
- Affiliate Marketing
- Selling your own products
- Selling some services
- One on one adverts
- Guest posts
Let us look at each.
1. Google AdSense Program
This is an official Google program. Google puts adverts on qualifying sites and pays them when a person sees or clicks the advert. This is how most publishers make money from their blogs.
It is important to note that only around 4% of blogs qualify for this program. Google is very particular on the publishers they work with. This is because they want to provide value to their clients.
To start making money from this program, you need the following:
- Your articles should be at least 500 words each. Also, have at least 20 well-written blog posts on your site.
- Your site should be well designed and with proper navigation.
- It must be a mobile-friendly site with a valid SSL certificate.
To apply for the program, register on the Google AdSense Program using your Google account. Link your site to your account and turn automatic ads on.
You then need to copy the AdSense code on your website. The best way to do this is by a plugin. Many plugins can help you do this. This includes Advanced ads, Ad sanity, etc.
It takes 1 or 2 weeks to get the feedback. If your blog does not meet the necessary standard, your application will be rejected. You can apply later after meeting the required standards.
If your application goes through, ads will start showing on your site. As people see the ads and click on them, you will earn money. The more the readers, the more the income.
Google shows relevant ads to readers based on what they search on their browsers. This is why the program is very effective because it is super focused.
A minimum amount of 70 Euros is required to get paid. Your income report will be shown on your Google AdSense account. When the threshold is reached, a direct transfer will be made to your bank account.
2. Affiliate Programs
In this case, you put adverts on your blog, and you are paid when a person makes a purchase using the link on your site.
The most popular affiliate program is the Amazon Affiliate Program. Here, you have to apply for the program by registering on the Amazon Associates Program.
After the approval, copy the codes of the products you want to sell and paste them on your site. They can either appear as text only, a picture only, or both.
When a person visits your site, gets interested in the product, follows the link, and purchases the product, you earn a 4% commission on the sales price.
When using this program, make sure you show products that are relevant to your readers. This will increase your conversion rate.
Other than Amazon Affiliate Program, there are many other such programs. You need to look out for them and register. Make sure that the products are relevant to your site.
3. Selling your own products
This is also a good way of making money from your blog. Show your products on the blog and allow people to make purchases.
These products can be eBooks, courses, webinars, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. These can either be downloadable products or the buyers can make orders and have the products delivered to their doorsteps.
4. Selling services
A publisher can also sell services on a blog. This is a good way of making money from a blog. Add a hire us page and tell people what you can do for them.
Most of these services should be done remotely. Such include graphic design, web designs, publishing, SEO, writing services, etc. Whatever you are skilled at, find a way of advertising it on your blog and get people to hire your services.
5. One on one advertisements
As your blog grows, you can approach companies and have them advertise on your site. This pays more but only blogs with high relevant traffic can do it.
Advertisers will want to receive value for their money. They will want to know the number of readers you get every day. If the number is not high enough, they will reject your proposal.
6. Guest posts
Established sites can also have people pay to write for them. This is because they give your content to thousands of readers every day.
Over and above that, guest posts can give the much-needed backlinks. If your site is established, other publishers will be dying to get a backlink from your blog. They will even pay to have it.
Bonus: how to grow a blog
- Write relevant and actionable content.
- Write long blog posts often.
- Do your keyword research thoroughly before you write.
- Have a different keyword for every blog post.
- Put your keyword in the blog post heading, Meta tags, URL, and in the body especially in the first 100 words.
- Work on the site speed. Optimize your images, update the themes and the plugins, get a good hosting plan, incorporate AMP, and reduce the number of less useful plugins on your site.
- Use Google Search Console and Google Analytics to know what is working and what is not.
- Have relevant Alt tags on all your images. The images should be relevant to the blog post content.
- Share your content on social media.
- Get backlinks.
- Have related posts in between or after the blog post. This will reduce bounce rates and increase time on site.
- Keep your URLs short.
- Read widely and do your research before you write.
- Edit your work thoroughly after writing to eliminate grammatical errors.
- Be super focused in your writing.
- Focus on long-tail keywords. The competition for this keyword is low. The search volume should be high.
- Optimize your internal linking structure. The links should be different from the content.
- The main menu should be neat and well structured.
- Write short sentences and paragraphs. Use H2 and H3 headings often. Leave many white spaces to improve the readability of your content. The font style and size should be legible.
- Link to relevant established sites.
Final thoughts on how to make money from a blog
If you already have one, how to make money from a blog must be a pressing question in your mind. This article has tried to give an in-depth guide on this. If you follow the actionable tips in this article, you will not only make money from your blog, you will make a fortune.
Founder/ C.E.O- Wealthy Wolves Consulting & Giimark Ltd/ Best-selling Author/ Speaker.